Programming. Huffington Post, April 23, 2014; https://www.huffingtonpost.com/
chris-parnin/ scientists-begin-looking-_b_4829981.html. Accessed 2017 November 22.
28. Portnoff, S. M. S. Thesis. California State University, Los Angeles. ( 1) The case
for using foreign language pedagogies in introductory computer programming
instruction; ( 2) A contextualized pre-AP computer programming curriculum:
Models and simulations for exploring real-world cross-curricular topics. (ProQuest,
LLC, 2016), 262; 10132126. http://pqdtopen.proquest.com/pubnum/10132126.
html?FMT=AI. Accessed 2017 November 22.
29. Reges, S. & Stepp, M. Building Java Programs. 3rd ed. (Boston: Pearson, 2014).
30. Siegmund, J., Kästner, C., Apel, S., Parnin, C., Bethmann, A., Leich, T., Saake, G.
& Brechmann, A. Understanding Understanding Source Code with Functional
Magnetic Resonance Imaging. In Proceedings of the 36th International Conference
on Software Engineering (2014), 378–389. doi: 10.1145/2568225.2568252.
31. Siegmund, J., Kästner, C., Apel, S., Parnin, C., Bethmann, A. & Brechmann, A.
Understanding Programmers’ Brains with fMRI. In Frontiers in Neuroinformatics
Conference Abstract: Neuroinformatics (2014). doi: 10.3389/conf.
32. Tagarelli, K. M. Ph. D. Dissertation, Georgetown University, Washington D.C. The
Neurocognition of Adult Second Language Learning: An fMRI Study. (ProQuest,
LLC, 2014); 3642262.
33. Watson, C., & Li, F. W. Failure Rates in Introductory Programming Revisited. In
Proceedings of the 2014 Conference On Innovation & Technology In Computer
Science Education. (Uppsala, Sweden: Association for Computing Machinery, June
2014), 39–44. doi: 10.1145/2591708.2591749.
34. Woolfolk, A. Educational Psychology. 9th ed. (Boston: Pearson, Allyn and Bacon, 2004).
35. Yokoyama, S., Kim, J., Uchida, S., Okamoto, H., Bai, C., Yusa, N. et al. A longitudinal
fMRI study of neural plasticity in the second language lexical processing.
Neuroscience Research Abstracts 58S (2007), S174.
Scott R. Portnoff
Downtown Magnets High School, Computer Science Dept.
1081 W Temple St., Los Angeles, CA 90012
DOI: 10.1145/3152433 ©2018 ACM 2153-2184/18/06 $15.00
15. Hesling, I., Dilharreguy, B., Bordessoules, M. & Allard, M. The Neural Processing
of Second Language Comprehension Modulated by the Degree of Proficiency: A
Listening Connected Speech fMRI Study. The Open Neuroimaging Journal, 6 (2012),
16. Kidwai, A. Knowledge of Language: Noam Chomsky’s Innateness Thesis.
Contemporary Education Dialogue, 5, 2 (2008), 245–265. doi: 10.1177/
17. Kummerfeld, S. K. & Kay, J. The neglected battle fields of Syntax Errors. In
Proceedings of the Fifth Australasian Conference on Computing Education, 20,
105–111. (Adelaide, Australia: Australian Computer Society, Inc., 2003).
18. Lahtinen, E., AlaMutka, K. & Järvinen, H. M. A Study of the Difficulties of Novice
Programmers. In Proceedings of the 10th Annual SIGCSE Conference on Innovation
and Technology in Computer Science Education (June 27–29, 2005), 14–18.
19. Lewis-Kraus, G. The Great AI Awakening. New York Times (Magazine). December
14, 2016; http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/magazine/the-great-ai-awakening.
html?_r=0. Accessed 2017 November 22.
20. Lo, Mun & Marton, Ference. Towards a science of the art of teaching: Using variation
theory as a guiding principle of pedagogical design. International Journal for
Lesson and Learning Studies, 1 (2011), 7–22. doi: 10.1108/20468251211179678.
21. Mattern, K., Shaw, E. & Ewing, M. Advance Placement Exam Participation: Is AP
Exam Participation and Performance Related to Choice of College Major? (New
York, N Y: College Board, 2011).
22. McGettrick, A., Boyle, R., Ibbett, R., Lloyd, J., Lovegrove, G. & Mander, K. Grand
Challenges in Computing: Education—A Summary. The Computer Journal, 48, 1
(2005), 42–48. doi: 10.1093/comjnl/bxh064.
23. Monti, M. M., Parsons, L. M. & Osherson, D. N. Thought Beyond Language: Neural
Dissociation of Algebra and Natural Language. Association for Psychological
Science, 23, 8 (2012), 914–922. doi: 10.1177/0956797612437427.
24. Morgan, R. & Klaric, J. AP Students in College: An Analysis of Five-Year Academic
Careers. (New York, NY: College Board, 2007).
25. Moro, Andrea. The Boundaries of Babel: The Brain and the Enigma of Impossible
Languages. (Cambridge, MA: MI T Press, 2008).
26. Pappano, L. Learning to Think Like a Computer. New York Times, April 4, 2017.
computer-code.html?_r=0. Accessed 2017 November 22.
27. Parnin, C. Scientists Begin Looking at Programmers’ Brains: The Neuroscience of
A personal walk down the
computer industry road.
BY AN EYE-WITNESS.
Smarter Than Their Machines: Oral Histories
of the Pioneers of Interactive Computing is
based on oral histories archived at the Charles
Babbage Institute, University of Minnesota.
These oral histories contain important messages
for our leaders of today, at all levels, including
that government, industry, and academia can
accomplish great things when working together in
an effective way.