ACM Transactions on Accessible Computing
This quarterly publication is a
quarterly journal that publishes
refereed articles addressing issues
of computing as it impacts the
lives of people with disabilities.
The journal will be of particular
interest to SIGACCESS members
and delegrates to its affiliated
conference (i.e., ASSETS), as well
as other international accessibility
algorithmic self-assembly. In Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences 106, 15 (mar. 2009),
8. Becker, F. Pictures worth a thousand tiles, a geometrical
programming language for self-assembly. Theoretical
Computer Science 410, 16 (2009), 1495–1515.
9. Becker, F., Rapaport, I. and Rémila, E. Self-assembling classes of shapes with a minimum
number of tiles, and in optimal time. In Proceedings
of FS TTCS (2006), 45–56.
10. Bryans, N., Chiniforooshan, E., doty, d., Kari, L. and
Seki, S. The power of nondeterminism in self-assembly.
Theory of Computing. To appear. Preliminary version
appeared in Proceedings of SODA (2011), 590–602.
11. Cannon, S., demaine, E.d., demaine, m.L., Eisenstat,
S., Patitz, m.J., Schweller, R. T., Summers, S.m. and
Winslow, A. Two hands are better than one (up to
constant factors). Technical Report 1201.1650,
Computing Research Repository, 2012.
12. Chandran, H., gopalkrishnan, N. and Reif, J. H. The tile
complexity of linear assemblies. In SIAM Journal
on Computing 41, 4 (2012) 1051–1073. Preliminarly
version appeared in ICALP (2009).
13. Chen, H.-L. and doty, d. Parallelism and time in
hierarchical self-assembly. In Proceedings of SODA
14. Chen, H.-L. and goel, A. Error free self-assembly with
error prone tiles. DNA 2004.
15. Chen, H.-L., goel, A. and Luhrs, C. dimension
augmentation and combinatorial criteria for efficient
error-resistant dNA self-assembly. In Proceedings of
SODA (2008), 409–418.
16. Chen, H.-L., goel, A. and Luhrs, C. and Winfree, E.
Self-assembling tile systems that heal from small
fragments. DNA (2007), 30–46.
17. Chen, H.-L., Schulman, R., goel, A. and Winfree, E.
Reducing facet nucleation during algorithmic self-assembly. Nano Letters 7, 9 (Sept. 2007), 2913–2919.
18. Cook, m., Fu, Y. and Schweller, R. T. Temperature 1
self-assembly: deterministic assembly in 3d and
probabilistic assembly in 2d. In Proceedings of SODA
19. Cook, m., Rothemund, P. and Winfree, E. Self-assembled circuit patterns. DNA (2004), 1979–1979.
20. demaine, E.d., demaine, m. L., Fekete, S. P., Ishaque, m.
Rafalin, E., Schweller, R. T. and Souvaine, d.L. Staged
self-assembly: Nanomanufacture of arbitrary shapes
with O( 1) glues. Natural Computing 7, 3 (2008),
347–370. Preliminary version appeared in DNA (2007).
21. demaine, E.d., Eisenstat, S., Ishaque, m. and Winslow,
A. One-dimensional staged self-assembly. DNA (2011),
22. demaine, E.d., Patitz, m.J., Schweller, R. T. and
Summers, S.m. Self-assembly of arbitrary shapes using
RNAse enzymes: meeting the Kolmogorov bound with
small scale factor. In Proceedings of S TACS (2011).
23. doty, d. Randomized self-assembly for exact shapes.
SIAM Journal on Computing, 39, 8 (2010), 3521–
3552. Preliminary version appeared in Proceedings of
24. doty, d., Lutz, J. H., Patitz, m. J., Schweller, R. T.,
Summers, m. and Woods, d. The tile assembly model
is intrinsically universal. In Proceedings of FOCS
(2012), to appear. IEEE.
25. doty, d. and Patitz, m. J. A domain-specific language
for programming in the tile assembly model.
Proceedings of DNA (2009), 25–34.
26. doty, d. and Patitz, m. J., Reishus, d., Schweller, R. T.
and Summers, S.m. Strong fault-tolerance for self-assembly with fuzzy temperature. In Proceedings of
FOCS (2010), IEEE, 417–426.
27. doty, d. and Patitz, m. J. and Summers, S.m.
Limitations of self-assembly at Temperature 1.
Theoretical Computer Science 412, 1–2 (Jan. 2011),
145–158. Preliminary version appeared in DNA (2009).
28. Fujibayashi, K., Hariadi, R., Park, S.H., Winfree, E. and
murata, S. Toward reliable algorithmic self-assembly
of dNA tiles: A fixed-width cellular automaton pattern.
Nano Letters 8, 7 (2007), 1791–1797.
29. Fujibayashi, K., Zhang, d., Winfree, E. and murata,
S. Error suppression mechanisms for dNA tile self-assembly and their simulation. Natural Computing 8,
3 (2009), 589–612.
30. göös, m. and Orponen, P. Synthesizing minimal tile sets
for patterned dNA self-assembly. DNA (2010), 71–82.
31. Kao, m.-Y. and Schweller, R. T. Reducing tile complexity
for self-assembly through temperature programming.
In Proceedings of SODA (2006), 571–580.
32. Kao, m.-Y. and Schweller, R. T. Randomized self-assembly for approximate shapes. In Proceedings of
ICALP (2008), 370–384.
33. Kolmogorov, A. N. Three approaches to the quantitative
definition of ‘information.’ Problems of Information
Transmission 1: 1 (1965), 7.
34. Lathrop, J. Lutz, J., Patitz, m. and Summers, S.
Computability and complexity in self-assembly.
Theory of Computing Systems 48 (2011), 617–647.
Preliminary version appeared in CiE (2008).
35. Lempiäinen, T., Czeizler, E. and Orponen, P.
Synthesizing small and reliable tile sets for patterned
dNA self-assembly. DNA (2011), 145–159.
36. majumder, U., LaBean, T.H. and Reif, J.H. Activatable
tiles for compact error-resilient directional assembly.
DNA (2007), 15–25.
37. maňuch, J., Stacho, L. and Stoll, C. Step-assembly
with a constant number of tile types. In Proceedings
of ISAAC (2009), 954–963.
38. maňuch, J., Stacho, L. and Stoll, C. Two lower bounds
for self-assemblies at Temperature 1. Journal of
Computational Biology 17, 6 (2010), 841–852.
39. Padilla, J.E., Liu, W. and Seeman, N.C. Hierarchical
self-assembly of patterns from the Robinson tilings:
dNA tile design in an enhanced tile assembly model.
Natural Computing 11, 2 (2012), 323–338.
40. Patitz, m.J. Simulation of self-assembly in the abstract
tile assembly model with ISU TAS. FNANO (2009),
41. Patitz, m.J., Schweller, R. T. and Summers, S.m. Exact
shapes and Turing universality at Temperature 1 with
a single negative glue. DNA (2011), 175–189.
42. Patitz, m.J. and Summers, S.m. Self-assembly
of decidable sets. Natural Computing 10 (2011),
853–877. Preliminary version appeared in UC 2008.
43. Reif, J.H. Local parallel biomolecular computation.
DNA 3 (1999), 217–254.
44. Reif, J. Sahu, S. and Yin, P. Compact error-resilient
computational dNA tiling assemblies. DNA 2004.
45. Rothemund, P. W.K. Folding dNA to create nanoscale
shapes and patterns. Nature 440, 7082 (2006), 297–302.
46. Rothemund, P. W.K., Papadakis, N. and Winfree, E.
Algorithmic self-assembly of dNA Sierpinski triangles.
PLoS Biology 2, 12 (2004), 2041–2053.
47. Rothemund, P. W. K. and Winfree, E. The program-size
complexity of self-assembled squares (extended
abstract). In Proceedings of S TOC (2000), 459–468.
48. Schulman, R. and Winfree, E. Programmable control
of nucleation for algorithmic self-assembly. SIAM
Journal on Computing 39, 4 (2009), 1581–1616.
Preliminary version appeared in dNA (2004).
49. Schulman, R. and Winfree, E. Synthesis of crystals
with a programmable kinetic barrier to nucleation. In
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 104,
39 (2007), 15236–15241.
50. Soloveichik, d., Cook, m. and Winfree, E. Combining
self-healing and proofreading in self-assembly.
Natural Computing 7, 2 (2008), 203–218.
51. Soloveichik, d. and Winfree, E. Complexity of compact
proofreading for self-assembled patterns. DNA (2005).
52. Soloveichik, d. and Winfree, E. Complexity of self-assembled shapes. SIAM Journal on Computing 36,
6 (2007), 1544–1569. Preliminary version appeared in
53. Summers, S.m. Reducing tile complexity for the
self-assembly of scaled shapes through temperature
programming. Algorithmica 63, 1 (2012) 117–136.
54. Turing, A.m. On computable numbers, with an
application to the Entscheidungsproblem. In
Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society
55. Winfree, E. Simulations of computing by self-assembly. Technical Report Caltech CS TR:1998.22.
California Institute of Technology, 1998.
56. Winfree, E. Algorithmic Self-Assembly of dNA. Ph.d.
thesis, California Institute of Technology, June 1998.
57. Winfree, E. Self-healing tile sets. Nanotechnology:
Science and Computation, Natural Computing Series.
J. Chen, N. Jonoska, and g. Rozenberg, eds. Springer,
58. Winfree, E. and Bekbolatov, R. Proofreading tile sets:
Error correction for algorithmic self-assembly. DNA
59. Winfree, E., Liu, F., Wenzler, L. A. and Seeman, N.C.
design and self-assembly of two-dimensional dNA
crystals. Nature 394, 6693 (1998), 539–544.
David Doty ( email@example.com) is a Computing
Innovation Fellow and Postdoctoral Scholar in the
department of Computing and mathematical Sciences
at the California Institute of Technology, Pasadena.