We thank Jesse Kriss, Frank van Ham, Doug Fritz, Kate
Hollenbach, Steve Whittaker, David Millen, and Maneesh
Agrawala for insightful discussions. We also would like to
thank all the study participants and users of our system.
1. anupam, V., bajaj, c.l., schikore, D., Journal of Computer-Supported
and shikore, m. representations in Cooperative Work 13, 3 (2004),
distributed cognitive tasks. IEEE 305–327.
Computer 27, 7 (1994), 37–43. 8. chuah, m.c. and roth, s.f. Visualizing
2. benbunan-fich, r., hiltz, s.r., common ground. in Proceedings of the
and turoff, m. a comparative Conference on Information Visualization
content analysis of face-to-face vs. (IV) (los alamitos, usa, 2003), ieee
asynchronous group decision making. computer society, 365–372.
Decision Support Systems 34, 4 9. chui, y.-P. and heng, P.-a. enhancing
(2003), 457–469. view consistency in collaborative
3. benko, h., ishak, e.w., and feiner, s. medical visualization systems using
collaborative mixed reality predictive-based attitude estimation.
visualization of an archaeological in First IEEE International Workshop
excavation. in IEEE International on Medical Imaging and Augmented
Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (MIAR’01) (hong Kong,
Reality (ISMAR 2004) (arlington, Va, china), 2001.
2004), 132–140. 10. churchill, e.f., trevor, J., bly, s.,
4. brodlie, K.w., Duce, D.a., gallop, J.r., nelson, l., and cubranic, D. anchored
walton, J. P.r.b., and wood, J.D. conversations: chatting in the context of
Distributed and collaborative a document. in ACM CHI 2000, 2000.
visualization. Computer Graphics
11. clark, h.h. Pointing and placing. in
Forum 23, 2 (2004), 223–251. Pointing. Where Language, Culture,
5. brush, a., bargeron, D., gupta, a., and and Cognition Meet. s. Kita, ed.
cadiz, J. robust annotation positioning erlbaum, 2003, 243–268.
in digital documents. in Proceedings
12. clark, h.h. and brennan, s.e.
of ACM Human Factors in Computing grounding in communication. in
Systems (CHI 2001), 2001. Perspectives on Socially Shared Jeffrey Heer ( firstname.lastname@example.org),
6. card, s.K., mackinlay, J. D., and Cognition (1991), american computer science Department, stanford
shneiderman, b. Readings in Psychological association, 127–149. university, stanford, ca.
Information Visualization: Using Vision
13. Danis, c.m., Viégas, f.b.,
to Think. morgan-Kaufmann, 1999. wattenberg, m., and Kriss, J. your place Fernanda B. Viégas (email@example.com.
7. carter, s., mankoff, J., and goddi, P. or mine? Visualization as a community com), Visual communication lab
building connections among loosely component. in Proceedings of ACM ibm t. J. watson research center,
coupled groups: hebb’s rule at work. Human Factors in Computing Systems cambridge, ma.
CACM lifetime mem half page ad:Layout 1 9/4/08 4:04 PM Page 1
(CHI 2008), 2008.
14. Dietz, P.h. and leigh, D.l.
Diamondtouch: a multi-user touch
technology. in Proceedings of ACM
Symposium on User Interface Soft ware
and Technology, 2001, 219–226.
15. Dourish, P. and chalmers, m. running
out of space: models of information
navigation. in Human Computer
Interaction (HCI’ 94), 1994.
16. Dynamics, g. command post of the future.
website. accessed: november, 2007.
17. grudin, J. groupware and social
dynamics: eight challenges for
developers. Communications of the
ACM 37, 1 (1994), 92–105.
18. heer, J. socializing visualization. in
ACM CHI 2006 Workshop on Social
19. heer, J., agrawala, m., and willett, w.
generalized selection via interactive query
relaxation. in ACM CHI 2008, 959–969.
20. hill, w.c. and hollan, J.D. Deixis and
the future of visualization excellence.
in Proceedings of IEEE Visualization
21. Johansen, r. Groupware: Computer
Support for Business Teams. the free
Press, new york, 1988.
22. millen, D.r., feinberg, J., and Keer, b.
Dogear: social bookmarking in the
enterprise. in Proceedings of ACM
CHI 2006, 111–120.
23. thomas, J. and cook, K. Illuminating the
Path: The Research and Development
Agenda for Visual Analytics. ieee
computer society, 2005.
24. Viégas, f.b., danah boyd, nguyen, D.h.,
Potter, J., and Donath, J. Digital artifacts
for remembering and storytelling:
Posthistory and social network
fragments. in Proceedings of Hawaii
International Conference on System
Sciences (HICCSS) (2004), 105–111.
25. Viégas, f.b. and wattenberg, m.
a call to action. IBM Systems Journal
45, 4 (2006), 801–812.
26. Viégas, f.b., wattenberg, m., van ham,
f., Kriss, J., and mcKeon,
m. many eyes: a site for visualization
at internet scale. IEEE Transactions
on Visualization and Computer
Graphics 12, 5 (nov./Dec. 2007),
27. wattenberg, m. and Kriss, J.
Designing for social data analysis.
IEEE Transactions on Visualization
and Computer Graphics 12, 4
(July–august 2006), 549–557.
28. willett, w., heer, J., and agrawala, m.
scented widgets: improving
navigation cues with embedded
visualizations. IEEE Transactions on
Visualization and Computer Graphics
13, 6 (nov./Dec. 2007), 1129–1136.
Martin Wattenberg (firstname.lastname@example.org.
com), Visual communication lab,
ibm t.J. watson research center,
© acm 0001-0782/09/0001 $5.00
Take Advantage of
ACM’s Lifetime Membership Plan!
ACM Professional Members
can enjoy the convenience of making a single payment for their
entire tenure as an ACM Member, and also be protected from future price increases by
taking advantage of ACM's Lifetime Membership option.
ACM Lifetime Membership
dues may be tax deductible under certain circumstances, so
becoming a Lifetime Member can have additional advantages if you act before the end of
2008. (Please consult with your tax advisor.)
Lifetime Members receive a certificate of recognition suitable for framing, and enjoy all of
the benefits of ACM Professional Membership.
Learn more and apply at: